Youth In Need offers school-based counseling within many St. Louis and St. Charles County schools. School-based therapists work within preschool, elementary, middle and high school facilities, helping students overcome behavioral, emotional or social problems that interfere with success at school and at home.
Common issues may include:
- Poor social skills
Our therapists help students reduce disruptive behavior and improve self-monitoring skills. Integrated as members of the school team, we can serve youth in a familiar setting, offering minimal interruption to their school day.
School-based therapy includes:
- Individual and group therapy
- Family counseling
- Risk assessments, as needed (suicidal or homicidal)
- Specialized training and support services for parents and teachers
- Collaboration with other community providers
- Connection to additional community resources
School-based therapists are master’s-level professionals and interns credentialed to provide services based on their degree in social work, counseling or psychology. Our therapists have a variety of specialties, including family therapy, play therapy, art therapy, therapy with children and adolescents, trauma, grief and loss and more. These creative professionals partner with teachers, school administrators and parents to develop individualized treatment plans and behavioral interventions for students.
Teachers, guidance counselors, principals, providers or parents may refer students for these services.
School-based counseling services are available to students in the following school districts:
- St. Louis County: Jennings, Hazelwood, Riverview Gardens, Pattonville, Parkway, Ritenour, Valley Park, Lindbergh, Maplewood Richmond Heights and North Tech High School
- St. Charles County: City of St. Charles, Orchard Farm, Francis Howell and Wentzville
- Lincoln County: Elsberry, Troy and Winfield